Back in May, we decided that our "major summer redo" would be our front yard. It has an odd layout,
Oh! Did I mention the lone rosemary plant? See those stepping stones? They lead to a corner. A rosemary corner. ???
"Where's the rosemary," you ask? It died when we had a record breaking freeze. Yes, this is the city I live in... record breaking freezes AND droughts in the same year.
First, where there is grass, we don't want grass. We wanted to create a divide, where one side would have broken concrete pieces (made to mimic flagstone steps) and the other side would be our desert landscaping.
Using our garden hose (technical work here, people), I laid out the design I wanted for our "wall." Once we were happy with the design, we started digging. We dug about 4 inches deep, and flattened the ground as best we could. Then we started laying in our rocks (reused from the rosemary section of the yard) and making sure it was all level. Lastly, we filled in the gaps with dirt.
Is this how to properly build a wall? Probably not. It works for us and cost nothing. THAT makes me happy. I don't have a photo of what it looks like now. We added a second layer of rocks and planted a Japanese Boxwood at the end of the wall. The plant is nearly dead and I am annoyed.
Any suggestions from readers? Photoshop would be awesome if anyone cares to play around with our yard. Anyone know of some desert plants/trees to save me from a project fail?



3 comments:
I agree with you there...working in the yard is not as fun as it sounds. I like potted plants....now those are fun! I grew up with a very, very large yard and the kids were the landscapers as soon as we were old enough to pull a weed. I feel your yard pain. I wish I could offer you suggestions. I have none. Maybe Yard Crashers will be at your local home improvement store one day? This is what I long for happening.
Hey Amanda,
Thanks for popping by my blog and commenting on our Landscaping story!
One of the things that we did was have a few Landscape Design companies come out to give us free estimates and layout ideas! From there we slowly put a plan together and did the majority of the work ourselves to save money!
I'm sure some of your local Landscaping companies could give you some good advice & ideas!
For now, you guys definitely get an A for effort! Great post-I'm one of your newest followers!
I feel the same way about my yard! we have no grass growing in the backyard and the front yard is filling fast with fallen leaves. you made some nice progress in your yard. It will all come together nicely in due time. good luck!
Post a Comment