Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DIY Twine Balls


Yoo hoo, bloggers! ;) How are ya'll?! We were hit with some minor setbacks these last two weeks, but we are slowly picking ourselves back up and brushing it off. Adoption hasn't happened yet... was postponed until Monday. We were notified 2 hours before it was to happen, so naturally we had this huge cake we had to eat. Couldn't throw it away right? Hahaha.

Anyway, to ease my frustration, I was finally able to work on some crafts! I've seen these done before and can't remember who did it first, so if you know, please tell me so that I can give credit where credit is due. ;) It all started with an inspiration that I found at GW. A dirty lonely platter seeking a table:


For $4, it was mine. Now, I had someone awhile back leave a rather... rude... comment about how my thrift stores finds seemed pricey. I recently discovered a thrift store on the opposite side of town that priced their items significantly lower. However, since I don't want to be making that 30 minute drive there and back, I will take my over-priced items instead. Thankyouverymuch! To me, the price STILL beats new, store-bought prices.

Anyway, after a couple of coats of some brown spray paint, it looked better:


Remembering the post I read ages ago about creating twine balls, I wrapped some jute and twine around balloons and coated them with my tacky glue spray can.


Once they were dry, I popped the balloon and removed it. The twine looked great and held strong, but the jute turned white and easily lost shape. I purchased that particular twine months ago at the dollar store.


LOVE the crazy looking twine ball, not so much the jute. Throw in some dollar store moss balls, jute wrapped around styrofoam balls I made here, bada bing, bada boom, and you have yourself a cute table centerpiece:


Remember that burlap table runner? I promised I would wait until fall to use it, but I couldn't resist! I blame it on the BHG magazine that was delivered to me today. Did anyone else see it? The fall leaves on the cover? *sigh* Be still my heart...

I had nearly all of these supplies on hand, except for the platter. Total project cost: $4! Yeaaa buddy!











2 comments:

Kari said...

Pretty! Sorry about the adoption process, keeping you all in our prayers and good to see you back!

Parents of a Dozen said...

Sorry to here about the adoption. We will be praying for you. I really like the balls you made. I look forward to seeing more.