Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Organizing My Craft Area: The Frugal Way

May I just say:

GO PACKERS!!!

That has been my team since I was a little girl and I feel like a proud Mama right now.
WOO HOO! SUPER BOWL BABY!

Okay, I'm done. Glad I got that out.

I have been having so much fun reading about the projects bloggers did during the MLK weekend. I really wish I had some fantastic craft to share, but in truth, I spent that weekend cleaning and organizing.

Our three bedroom home is maxed out with four occupants, so I don't have the luxury of having an office or craft room, like some of my lucky blog buddies. No, my craft room is downsized to compartments on wheels that I push into whichever room the kids aren't climbing over me in I feel like working in.

Observe, my craft drawers:

and...


and in the end, I counted 42 of these:


Do these things annoy anyone else? I mean, you spill half the paint by just opening and closing them. Then, you can't pour any of it onto a plate for little hands, because what's the point?! I really didn't want to designate a spot for these, so I opened them all and with a stack of papers let these two go to town:


 Monday morning, painting before breakfast: a treat for them
Getting rid of those pointless drops of paint: a treat for me


While the little ones were occupied, I was able to organize and label my craft drawers:


I printed my labels and taped them to the inside (frugal way)


Inside the drawers, I separated all my markers, pens, pencils, highlighters, sharpies, and crayons with freezer bags (this post is called "The Frugal Way" after all, people).


I prefer this method because boxes take up too much room. I had all our crayons in 3 empty wipe boxes. There was always a box in the kitchen, the living room, and in my older daughter's room. Now, they are all together in ONE location so they can be found easier. By the way, the OCD in me went and threw out all the crayons that were broken or missing the paper. ;)

I did use a couple of boxes though. Office Depot was having a buy one, get one free sale. So, I grabbed two small boxes ($2.99) for my ribbon and paint (the real kind).



Then, I grabbed two file folder boxes, $5.99, that were also buy one get one free. One I really needed for files and the other one will probably be used to store all my spray paint.


Total Project Cost: less than $10

8 comments:

Christina said...

Good job! I organized my craft supplies about a month ago...but they're not looking nearly as organized now...

Katie said...

Way to go! I really need to organize my craft stuff. It has crept into every room of my house and I can never find anything when I need it! Since we don't have kids (yet) I have an entire room to use as my craft room and I should really take advantage of it!

Reunion Committee said...

nice shout out! lol and I am now rooting for team, but dont get me wrong... its just for this game lol
Love frugal organization!!! great idea
Tana

Organize with Sandy said...

Great job! I love using clear organizers too.
I found you on Thrifty Decor Chick. I'd love for you to stop by and link up on my Organizing Mission link party.
http://www.organizewithsandy.com/2011/02/21/organizing-mission-monday-week-10/

Anonymous said...

great work, and thrifty too. I like having all the writing utensils in their own baggies and not just tossed in, great idea and labels.

Organize with Sandy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my link party!!

bweebud said...

Thanks for the post; you've motivated me to organize. One suggestion, in the name of frugality...instead of tossing those broken/ "naked" crayons why not make new crayons in fun shapes with them?

I purchased a heart-shaped rubber ice tray at the Dollar Spot at Target and a cupcake tin from a thrift store...lined the tin with aluminum foil (for easy pouring) and put the bits of crayon into each cupcake well. I put the oven on warm then put the tin in until the crayons were melted. Pour melted wax into ice tray and put in the freezer to harden. (This helps them pull away from the edge so you can just pop em out...I've also read that you can spray them with cooking spray?!)

I wrapped these heart-shaped crayons in crazy colors in plastic wrap, tied with a ribbon and put in a little white bucket (also from the dollar spot) and gave to a couple little girls I babysit for and they loved them! They are great for younger children too because they are easier to hold than the skinny straight ones I think.

Amanda @ Mamaslittleladybugs.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for that fantastic tip bweebud! I've melted crayons in the past using mini-cupcake pans, but this sounds too cute not to try! :)