R has used the Abeka curriculum since she was 4. It's quite structured as far as homeschooling choices go, but it's what she's use to. I have changed things up a bit though by trying to incorporate more hands-on learning, as Abeka is pretty much worksheets.
For the last 3 years, R's school has taught her about the different parts of speech, with every year getting a bit more detailed than the previous. Currently, she's learning the rules for common and proper nouns and I wanted to put aside the textbooks this week. I love, love, loooove Language Arts, so creating fun lessons has been exciting for both of us.
As she is reviewing nouns, we have been making a really fun Word Wall. Each day, we add ten new nouns to the theme word. This is a simple exercise that can be used for verbs, nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. This weeks theme is "winter."
The first two days, R quickly spit out all the easy nouns associated with winter. Day 3 and 4 were a bit more challenging as she really had to use her head. By the way, I didn't want to spend the money on butcher paper, so I'm using the back of an old desk calender to display charts and such. #twice-owned, #under$20, and still #frugalLiving. See... the old repurposed me is still there. :) This cost me NADA.
Today, we had made a trip to a bookstore to spend a gift card she received from her Grandma for Christmas. Imagine my excitement as I found a huge selection of Mad Libs! I loved playing with them when I was little and thought this would be a perfect way to practice her parts of speech. I showed her how to play them, afraid she would find them boring, but she started cracking up with the very first story. We ended up walking out of there with 5 versions!!!! Mad-Libs are $3.99 at this store, and even though our gift card made this FREE, it still would have been under $20 with our membership discount.
That night, we played Mad Libs for over an hour. On some stories, she was laughing so hard, tears began to fall. Little did she know, I was counting this as schoolwork and her problems with identifying adjectives are nearly over.
You can kind of see her wet eyelashes and red nose. This was after one particularly hilarious, ROFL, story.
Homeschooling can be LOL fun...
Linking up with:
Christina's Adventures, A Creative Princess
No comments:
Post a Comment