Thursday, October 14, 2010

Burlap Table Runner

Fall is creeping up all over our home and my husband and I are loving it!

I had been wanting to do this project the moment I saw it done by this lovely lady, but figured it would get lost/ruined/damaged with the "big move." Now that things are settled and we're down to 2, count 'em, 2 moving boxes that need unpacking, I was finally able to tackle this super cute and inexpensive project.

Wait for it....

Be Still, My Heart!

Here is what you will need to make your own burlap table runner:



Scissors
Glue gun
Charcoal pencil OR exacto knife (I'll explain)
word or phrase printed in a font you like
burlap


For this project, I needed 6 feet of burlap from Joann's Fabrics, which came out to $1.50. I kept the length at 6 ft. to allow the table runner to hang off each end of our table. Width wise, I trimmed it down to about 16 inches. Next, I glued down the sides to make a nice, neat trim. You don't have to do this but my husband didn't like the sides looking "messy." I don't know, go figure, so I glued the sides down. Next, I printed out the word "blessings" because it reminds me of all the people in my life who have been such a blessing. Usually, those people are gathered around the table, so I printed that word in a font I loved. Here is where things get kind of tricky....

The lovely lady I stole this from was inspired by, traced the back part of her word and filled it in using a charcoal pencil. Then, she pressed the paper down firmly onto the burlap and rubbed across her word so that it became imprinted on the burlap. Well, when I tried this... nothing showed up. I tried rubbing with my hand, then a hard object, and then the edge of a glass... and only then did I see the faintest hint of a word.



Plan B: I cut out the letters with an exacto knife, placed the word onto the burlap, and colored it in using my charcoal pencil. Once I was done, I traced over that with a permanent marker to make it, well, more permanent.



I did the same thing to the other side. It was an easy project, minus the one hiccup, and I spent a total of $5.50. I already had the scissors, glue gun, and permanent marker, so other than buying the burlap, I had to also buy the charcoal pencil ($3.99 at Hobby Lobby).



Since we haven't unpacked our vases and other breakables, I threw together this centerpiece using small pumpkins (cuz I love 'em so stinkin much) and a large vine pumpkin from Target's dollar bins.

I am linking this to Allison's Link Party and Somewhat Simple


















3 comments:

Reunion Committee said...

LOVE LOVE it!! I made one last year with "serenity" on it. Burlap is the best isnt it? lol
~Tana

Amanda @ Mamaslittleladybugs.blogspot.com said...

I know, silly, you were the one I was mentioning in the beginning of the post. I linked this to your post to give credit where credit was due. Remember me... emailing you about the ikea shelf turned sideways? lol.

Reunion Committee said...

OMG!!!!! How did I miss this!!!?? Im seriously cracking up over this post!
Awww Amanda OF COURSE I remember you hahahaha
im such a goober.
Tana