Friday, October 1, 2010

Our First (simple) DIY Project

It's official! My husband and I own a home!

It's a cozy, ranchstyle home with an open floor plan, nestled in a quiet neighborhood. After reading that description, can you tell I have been around realtors for the last 26 months (the amount of time it took my husband and I to find the one)?
Once we had the keys to our home, we got started on our first project... ripping out the carpet from the garage.


I think at some point, this garage was used as an extra living space, but being renters of homes with 1 car garages for years, we were dying to finally be able to park a car in the garage. So, orangey carpet, out you go!

First, we found a loose corner and began to pull the carpet from the tack board. We cut the carpet into four sections so that when we rolled it up, it wouldn't be so heavy to carry. Next, we started picking away at the tack board and rusty nails began to fly everywhere. We used a hammer and a doo-dad tool that I have no idea what it's called and neither does my husband.


This was the worst part of the project because when you scoop all the wood and nails into the trash bag, it just rips right through. Annoying. However, after about four hours of work, we finally have a garage we can use for its intended purpose.

Voila!

Total Project Cost: Free
Score!













2 comments:

One Life Many Journeys said...

Yay! Nothing is better than free and seeing your sweat pay off.

Katie said...

We LOVE our garage! When we were looking at houses we wouldn't even look at anything that didn't have a 2 car garage....We have lived here for 9 months and have yet to park 2 cars in it, but at lease we could if we actually cleaned it out!