Sunday, November 7, 2010

Guest Bath Reveal!

I am finally ready to post my bathroom redo pics!
(listening for cheers and applause...)

This particular project was such a pain in the booty. I couldn't make up my mind on a color! After throwing 4 different samples on our wall, I was about ready to give up and paint it all white. Nothing wrong with white, but I grew up in an all white-walled home and now that I have my own family, I want color on the walls. (throwing fists in the air) COLOR!

Here is what our guest bath looked like when we moved in:




Nice sized guest bath but in need of a paint job. I found the shower curtain at Target and loved it, although I knew with the grey designs I would have to go with a grey bathroom. When I think of grey in the home, I think of "modern" and I am faaaaaar from modern. So, with the shower curtain, came the grey mats, and inevitably, grey paint samples from Home Depot. Here is what I sampled...


Left - Right:
Glidden "Pearl Grey," Behr "Subtle Touch," Glidden "Smooth Stone," and Behr "Gentle Rain"

In my opinion, the "Pearl Grey" and "Subtle Touch" were too blue-ish. I left these samples on the wall for a week and sometimes during the day, the far left one looked like an icy blue. Neither one matched my curtain and I really, really, really didn't want a blue and grey bathroom (too close to the Dallas Cowboys colors.. BLAH!). haha, sorry Cowboy fans.

The "Smooth Stone" matched my curtain perfectly but I was worried it would be too dark. "Gentle Rain" was way too dark so that was another "no." Plus, it also had hints of blue during certain times of the day. It was only after a friend commented on the color "Smooth Stone" and how it cordinated with what we were doing that I decided to take a risk and "go dark."

HARDLY A RISK AT ALL!

Note: When you order the paint samples, they come in a "flat" or "eggshell" finish. Well, when you are painting a bathroom, you order the paint in a "semi-gloss." This change in sheen completely lightened up the color about two shades. I love it! It's not too dark at all. It's subtle. Soft. It doesn't completely take over the room. Even my Grandma, after walking in, thought the walls were white. haha. Love Grandma. It's not that light.


Am I right? It's not white. Shower curtain = white. Walls = subtle grey.

And remember that lovely patch next to the sink?


These pictures are taken with the light on, and even then, it looks darker on camera.

Here is with the light off and the light coming in from the skylight:

We still have work to do in here and we updated the towel rack:


Since our laminate tiles have asbestos, we get to tile right over them instead of remove them first. YAY FOR ASBESTOS!


So, there is our halfway redo. I still would like to:

frame the mirror in white trim
update the light fixture
put a fresh white coat on the ceiling and cabinets
replace the cabinet top and faucet
tile the floor
paint the trim white
replace the door with a white one

and of course...

add some decor to make it homey.

1 comment:

Comeca Jones said...

Love the effort you put into your bath I am now a follower.Please stop by my blog its not big and glamorous but I think it may inpire.Shanswife.blogspot.com