When it comes to ideas for decorating or remodeling, I often look at catalogs and magazines and copy what I love. However, a year ago I discovered this lady. Her name is Sarah and she is oh-so-talented! She can copy $100 projects for less than $20. She is my inspiration for a good chunk of my projects.
Once again, Sarah inspired a project that would fix my less-than-private backyard doors.
We have these gorgeous, country, white doors that were covered up with sheer curtains. Where we live, houses are built practically on top of each other and I was sure our neighbors would be able to see through our sheer curtains as we gathered around the dinner table.
That fence separates me from my neighbors. Can we say peeping Tom?
Not only that, but every time we gathered for dinner, this guy would stare at us the-entire-time.
Cute dog. Bad manners.
So, again, I was inspired with what Sarah did to her pantry doors, and figured this would be the perfect solution for some privacy, without completely blocking out all the light that comes through our doors.
For this project, you will need scissors, contact paper ($5 at Walmart), window cleaner, and a firm (old) card, such as an ID or used gift card.
First, I had to clean paint off from the windows.
With a bit of Windex and a used up JC Penny's gift card, I was able to scrape the paint right off.
If your windows have little spots of paint, clean them as best as possible because this will show through your contact paper.
Next, I measured my windows and cut the contact paper.
Then I trimmed.
And trimmed some more.
This was the most tedious part because none of my windows were the same size (of course). So each window took a good 10 minutes to get it exact. This is why my starting pictures were in the afternoon and the below ones were at night. Fun times.
Once you have the measurement exact, or as close to exact as you can get, spritz window cleaner all over the window pane.
This will allow you some room to move the contact paper around (or completely flip it upside down) if the corners aren't lining up right.
Next, get your firm card (or whatever you choose to use) and push the bubbles out from the contact paper. You will need a paper towel for this since the window cleaner will be dripping out.
This project could have taken 2 hours, tops, but with a very fussy baby, dinner cooking on the stove, and a 9 year old doing homework, this took more time than I care to say. Around 11pm, I called it quits when I reached my halfway point.
Without the contact paper on the right side...
With the contact paper on the left...
Don't you just love that soft glow?! It's so warm and romantic almost. LOVE!
The next morning, when one child was off at school and the other was still sleeping, I was finally able to finish!
BEFORE:
AFTER:
Perfect amount of privacy while still letting in the light! And no more cute dog watching us eat! YAY! All this, for $5!












2 comments:
Oh I follow Her and YOU! lol thats a great great makeover! I love it!
Tana
I didn't know about this before I read Sarah's post either! I like your windows much better now and I'm sure it's more functional not to have the curtains on there. Great job!
Post a Comment