Monday, January 10, 2011

My darkest color yet...

Once again, Behr has made my heart skip a beat! I am in love. Really.

I told you in this post about wanting to give my guest bath cabinets a fresh coat of white.


Well, that was the plan, but then I started looking online for pictures of bathroom cabinets. It took one picture from a dark colored cabinet to change all of my plans for this bathroom. I tell you, I ran to Home Depot and bought a gallon of this beautiful dark color. I didn't even bother with the samples. Daring, I know!

I removed the cabinet doors and the springs inside of the hinges crumbled in my hands. No joke. I'm guessing they were as old as the house, so back to Home Depot I went to purchase new hinges.


I lightly sanded the cabinets and doors and cleaned them with TSP. Since I bought Behr's paint and primer in one, I only had to do two coats to achieve my desired color. The paint is semi-gloss (recommended for bathrooms and kitchens).

Behold, Behr's "Espresso Beans"


Please excuse my dirty mirror. I was so excited to show you, that I didn't even think of cleaning it.

Isn't the color absolutely gorgeous? It's such a deep, rich, brown.


It looks black and I love that. It's not as harsh as black, but against my gray walls, you would never guess it's a brown.

I added tags to our baskets under the sink for my 9 year old because this is the bathroom she uses.


I am hoping this teaches her to put things away in the correct basket. We'll see if that works out.

Also, I found white towels on sale at Target for when guests visit. In a house with two kids, the darker the towels the better. Not only that, but the white towels match the white shower curtain. So, I'm keeping the towels hidden, but close at hand for when company comes over.


Today, the hubby and I are going to attach some new hardware to the cabinets. It will be just a little more "POP" to make our cabinets look new.

Before:


After:


Next for the bathroom:
hardware on the doors
frame the mirror
new countertop and faucet
white door and trim
tile
wall art


I am linking this to:

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

I really like it!!!
We think alike. I have not done it yet, but I would love my whole house to have baskets with tags hanging over telling what belongs in each basket!
Organization takes time!!!

Reunion Committee said...

love love it! I cant wait to see the rest

oh and I think I'm taking back that award. lol Packers ?? lordy.. lol I hope you actually do win since then it would be the team we lost too. lol Im reaching ;/ I know

Unknown said...

Yeah I love the dark. Looks great.

Amanda @ Mamaslittleladybugs.blogspot.com said...

Rebekah, I agree about organization taking time. After living in our home for 4 months, I'm still trying to figure out the best place for things. I think you have to live in a home for awhile to see how it flows with you. :)

Tana, nope, you can't take back the award (which I still need to perform the required duties). LOL. We can't all be perfect. If we were, EVERYONE would be a Packer fan. :P

Thank you, Ann. This was a stretch for me and I couldn't be more pleased.

Christina said...

I love this SO much! Amanda, you did a great job! The color is beautiful, and the organization should definitely help the kids...I am not as good with that in my own house, but in my classroom I know it helps! ;)

Rhiannon said...

i love the color, im debating to do that color on the bottom cabinets in the kitchen and white on top!