Friday, February 4, 2011

Catalog Inspired Display

Baby, it's cold outside!

Is anyone else getting hit with snow or frigid temperatures? Here in the desert, we were hit with some of the coldest temps we have seen since almost half a century ago.

It. is. freezing.

With the bad temps, snow, electric and gas outages came great news: school and business closings throughout our city. I can't tell you what a joy it was to stay home for 48 hours straight! I was able to enjoy my family, play board games, and enjoy some hot cocoa. Not only that, I was able to do FIVE crafts/projects! I am so excited to share the things I did! However, so that this post isn't "craft overload," I'll space out my posts over the next week or so. So, please come back often and see what a snowy day can bring.

My first project was inspired by all the catalogs I love to flip through, mainly "Pottery Barn" and "Crate and Barrel." With every coffee table you see, there is almost always a beautiful tray, filled with books and a flower pot. Something about that setting whispers "cozy" and "inviting."

First, I needed a tray. I made an inexpensive monogrammed one before, using a Goodwill find,


but I didn't want to cover up the monogram. So, I used one that I found at Ross for $4.99.


It was the perfect height and the colors fit beautifully within our living room.

Next, I used a vase from Goodwill.


It was crisp, white, beautiful, and at $3.99, just perfect.
I stuffed it with some floral foam that I had from a previous project:


Then, added a lovely flower ($3.50 at Michaels) and some moss balls ($4.99 Michaels):

Then...

I needed a stack of books to complete my "catalog inspired look." I would have normally stacked any books together, but then this really wouldn't be a "craft post." Plus, I absolutely fell head over heels in love with this project by Christina.


First, I found some paperback books around the house that I didn't mind giving up and ripped off their covers.


Next, make yourself some tea, and while you sip your warm beverage, save the tea bags. Squeeze out any excess water until the bags are damp. Then simply rub them on your book pages for an "aged" look. You can be as liberal as you want with the "coloring." I wanted my books to really look old.


Once they have the desired look, tie them using string, jute, or ribbon (whichever you want). I had jute left over from a previous project so went with it.


Behold, my aged books:


And finally, my complete Catalog Inspired Display:


Be still, My heart.

Total project cost: $17.50 (would have been lower if I had remembered to use my Michaels coupons... grrr)

Linking up with:

2 comments:

Christina said...

Love it!! Thanks so much for linking to my post...I'm glad you were "inspired"! :) Your display looks great!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!!

Reunion Committee said...

oohh I just love it all. Love the whole "look" off it.


oh congrats on the win. I was cheering for them too.. :) haha
Tana