Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentines Day Craft: Magnets

Hello blogland!

If you're still following my posts, thank you! I'm nearly done wrapping up the crafts I made during our winter storm (desert style). So far I have shown you how I put together a catalog inspired display and clustered photos on our wall. I still have to show you my Craigslist transformations! Please continue to check back here often as I hope to post both of them up within the next week.

Now, let me make something clear. I do not decorate for every-single-holiday. Usually, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are about as "holiday decor" as I get. That and I try to decorate for seasons. But that's it. I have to admit, I'm feeling a little guilty about not creating a cute "Valentine Craft" like everyone else in blogland seems to be doing. So, this seems like the perfect time to share a craft I did during our winter storm that wasn't Valentine inspired, but could still be used as V-Day gifts.

This is how to create Valentine magnets...

Supplies you will need:


scrapbook paper
clear gems
glue gun
carving tool
heavy duty magnets
tacky glue

First, take a clear gem and place it onto your paper, finding a design that looks good through your gem. Using the carving tool, cut around it.


Once the paper is cut out, glue it to your gem using the tacky glue. You will want to place a heavy book on top for at least half an hour to make sure the glue really holds and your paper doesn't curl.

Finally, glue the gem to a magnet using your glue gun.


TIP: You will want to use a "heavy duty" magnet because your magnets will need to hold the weight of the gem, the scrapbook paper, and whatever you are hanging with the magnet. Nothing says cheap like watching your magnets slide down your fridge because they aren't strong enough to hold anything.

Using different paper designs, I was able to make magnets in sets of four so that I can give them away as little gifts. 


Sorry for the poor photo quality, but shiny gems are impossible to photograph. ;)

I think these would make perfect gifts for older kids who are leaving for college or your younger kids' teachers.


Total Project Cost: $7.00
gems = $1 (sale at Michaels)
scrapbook paper = already had
magnets = $6 for a pack of 50 

So, there ya have it. My one and only V-Day craft. I did see an adorable burlap wreath, but really, with Valentines Day being 4 days away... why bother?  ;)  

For now, I'll sit here and "oooh" and "aaah" over all the cute crafts ya'll are doing.

Happy Valentines Day!



Linking up to:

3 comments:

Christina said...

I made these a few months ago for a craft fair and people loved them! I now have the ones I didn't sell on my fridge...and I love them!!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Now that is a super cute idea! I will have to try this. My girls would love it!!
~Crystal

Jill said...

Wow, I love your photos.
The breakdown with cost and making it step by step!

Do you really not like gold? The golden background of the blog is goldish and looks great!

Your blog is a good match with ours, kids and craftes with a practical edge!

I am following from a blog hop,
please come over and have a look back!

http://beourbest.blogspot.com/