Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Goodwill Love Story


I love me some Goodwill finds. Love.
I have been hunting for months for apothecary jars. Yes, Hobby Lobby sells them but the huge jars (my fav) are a bit too pricey for me. I have searched for them in thrift stores only to discover that these jars sell fast. I'm talking "you better buy it before you even know what to do with it" fast.

Now, try to imagine my excitement when I found this at Goodwill last week:


$3.99 and aaaaalllll mine. Ooooh yeah!

Never having actually owned an apothecary jar, I was stumped on what to fill it with. I have visions for this beauty in the fall and Christmas time. Visions. Going with what I already had around the house, I set forth with a small craft project. I found a huge bag of Styrofoam balls at the same Goodwill for $1.99. The bag had about 15 different sizes of foam balls. They were perfect for my jar. So, using some items from around the home:


I wrapped them in jute using tacky glue.


Add a moss ball and you have something to fill a jar:


Isn't it precious? I'm so desperate for spring to arrive (a first for me) and get giddy when I think about the adorable, colorful eggs I get to fill this with.


Project Breakdown:
Apothecary Jar $3.99
Styrofoam balls $1.99
Glue, jute, moss ball FREE (already had)
Total Cost: $5.98

What do you fill your apothecary jars with?

3 comments:

Reunion Committee said...

oh SCORE!!! I love that jar and I love the "balls" hehe great job.
Tana

Unknown said...

What an amazing find! That is the kind of find that gets my heart racing, and that thrill of the find feeling that lasts for days! Way to go!! I would have been overwhelmed with JOY. Can you tell I love thrift shopping?? I think it might be an illness....LOL Blessings <3 Paula

Lauren {whimsy lane} said...

I found your blog while Googlng "goodwill jars" and that's exactly what I'm looking for! Apothecary jars!!! I'm headed to Goodwill today after work. Hope I have some good luck too! And thanks for the tip about hobby lobby!