Today was a gorgeous day in the desert! We nearly reached 80 degrees and it was lovely.
With the warm weather came anticipations for spring and the realization that I really needed to lighten up. Well, my house, not me. ;)
I posted a couple of days ago about my apothecary find at Goodwill. I shoved some (dark) green moss balls and (dark) jute balls, then placed the jar on my (dark) brick fireplace. Well, I couldn't take all the darkness anymore and had to change it. Here is what I did to lighten up my mantel:
I took some music sheets (more on where I found these later) and trimmed them down to get rid of any excess blank areas. Then, I cut them into half inch strips. Next, I arranged them into my apothecary jar, placed them on some old books and grouped them with some other "light colored" items.
The books were 25 cents each, the figurine was a present for my husband after the birth of our daughter, and the white jar was $2.99 at Goodwill.
Now, here is the scoop on the books. I found them at my daughters school! The library set up a stand with old books they were trying to get rid of and asked that you donate a quarter for each book. I love decorating with old books and scooped up these for a dollar:
Here is my (dark) mantel before:
And my "lighter" mantel after:
Cost Breakdown:
White Jar - $2.99
Figurine - Free (already had)
Books - $0.50 for two
Apothecary Jar - $3.99
Music Sheets - $0.25 (out of hymnal book find)
Total Cost: $7.73
Linking to:





10 comments:
Love it! I collect the Willow Tree figurines and I love them. My hubby calls them my "faceless people"! LOL!
I love the new look! The white & light grays and blues are perfect :)
Thank you so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!
What a cute idea to fill up the jar with music! Love the lighter colors.
Lovely! I'm loving the warmer weather and am slowly putting together a spring display - will have to post soon :) Please stop by and say HI sometime.
Hi there~Your apothecary jar looks darling with the music sheets in it and 80 degree weather~ Oh, sounds wonderful!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)
Hi! Oh, I love old books and it looks like you have some treasures there. Your mantel looks just lovely and we are so glad that you came over and linked up to Inspiration Friday this weekend! :-)
Vanessa
Very nice! I like finding cheap old books too, especially since my sister reads a lot of books.
Hi! I just found your blog through Thrifty Decor Chick and all I can say about the fireplace mantle transformation is...aaaaahhhhh...so much better! I'm very new to the blogging world and I'd love to have you come on over and check out my blog sometime. It is definitely a work in progress!
Great mantle display. Everything looks so light and bright now. Congrats on the books. You really got a great deal on them. ~~Sherry~~
I love the light look. So very pretty.
Post a Comment