Thursday, April 28, 2011

Summer Mantel

As soon as I heard TDC and 3 other ladies were going to have a combined link party for next month, I knew I had to jump on board with the "summer mantel" and "spray paint project" train! Here is how I combined the two, to create my thrifty, summer mantel.
First, I needed a focal point for my mantel. I have been looking for a mirror to place over it for longer than I want to admit. I bought one on Craigslist that I thought needed just a bit of TLC to bring it back to life. I was dead wrong. That mirror was going to cost more to fix than I bought it for. Well, luck finally came on my side when I found this at my local thrift shop on Monday:
A perfectly sized mirror for only $9.10! All it needed was some white spray paint to cover up all that dated brass and it would be like new again! On the same trip, I saw this cute birdcage that I couldn't pass up.
Although it wouldn't fit on my mantel, I knew it would look adorable in my living room. The birdcage was only $3.50!

Here is my finished mantel with items I already had, and most of them were blogged about since I found them at thrift stores.
 Yes, those are sticks... that I found... and spray painted white. The moss balls and birds were from the Dollar Tree. I spray painted the birds, mirror frame, and sticks white.

Remember my birdcage? 
It looks precious on my side table. I'm still debating whether I want to fill it with anything or leave it as is. What do you think? Is anyone else getting ready for the link party? Well, I'm off to the gym. Got to get in that last workout before the royal wedding!



8 comments:

Christina said...

This looks beautiful!!! I can't believe you're onto summer already...yikes!! I feel like I just caught up with the spring stuff...ugh!

Reunion Committee said...

LOVe it!!! How about big white candles in the cage?? hmmm??
Tana

Kari said...

Oooh this is great!! I may add my mantel to the list as well!!

SkinnyMeg said...

I love everything in white!! I wish I had some big trees in my yard so I could paint some branches white, love the look :)

Kati @ Housewife_Swagger said...

love it!!! Your thrift store seems expensive, but wow- great purchases!!

Megan said...

I saw this on the 20 Below Thursdays link party... I love the light summer feel! Inspires me to swap some things out around my house!

Kellie Alexander said...

Looks great! I feel inspired to put away my Christmas decor. Don't judge me, I broke my leg before the holidays. LOL I'm just starting to walk again -- although very, very slowly!

Thanks for the great ideas!

:)

Christina said...

Stilllll love this...and I really love your new blog design too!

Thanks so much for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :)