Thursday, June 23, 2011

Super Simple Summer Supper

Don't you just love that title? English major working her skills on her blog. Oh yeaah (channeling Vector from Despicable Me).

ANYWAYS...

I am nearly complete with our porch redo and I'm so excited to finally show you! Like all my room projects, half of it is still incomplete. I have a really dated Spanish tile and I'm undecided on whether I want to tile over it, cover it with an outdoor rug, or chip it apart and lay down a new flooring. As far as the ceiling, I'm waiting on a killer deal to come along so we can replace the dated light fixture. The porch will be revealed later... first, I want to share this yummy dish we created for dinner the other night. It took under 30 minutes, using only 7 ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, and olive oil). This supper fed my family of 4 and cost around $5!

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp ground cumin, divided
4 cups of frozen, or fresh, corn
1 scallion, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 avocado, diced
1 tbsp of lime juice
salt
pepper
olive oil

Directions:
In a skillet, drizzle about 2 tbsp of olive oil and heat at med-high. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook the chicken thoroughly in the skillet. Once chicken is cooked, remove it and place onto a plate. In the same skillet, add the rest of the cumin and white wine. Stir in the corn and chopped scallion and mix well. You'll want the corn to be tender, so this should take about 3 - 5 minutes. In a small bowl, mix your diced avocado and lime juice. Serve your corn and chicken mixture, and top with the avocado.
So delish! The original recipe called for 12 scallions, but I substituted for chicken. Seafood makes me gag. lol! Something I would tweak for next time: the corn would have been extra yummy if I had grilled it first. I love the taste of corn that has been charred a bit. :)

Linking to: Good Life Wednesday, Christina's Adventures, House of Hepworths, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

1 comment:

brokeintrovert said...

Thanks for stopping by to say hello. I like (just for pasta salad - Wishbone Robusto Salad dressing)for regular salad I like the stuff in the package - good seasons, but the ultimate is a dressing made by my mom's local pizza shop. Angelo's house dressing is awesome. I'll try to replicate it some day.